A severe reaction (allergy) to Amoxicillin,
- Severe, total body rash
- no fever, spots in mouth, no sick feelings
- no swelling or breathing troubles
The doctor prescribed the following:
- New antibiotic prescription of Azithromycin (So the strep wouldn’t turn into rhuematic fever several weeks hence)
- ASAP: do an antihistamine below.
- Zyrtec 24 hour at bedtime (crucial step to get them through the night with antihistimanes in their system)
- Benedryl every 6 hours during the day for itching.
This worked out to a regimen of Benedryl at 7-8am and 1-2 pm then Zyrtec 6 hours later at bedtime.
- Hydrocortozone creme as needed. ( A 1:1 mixture of Benedryl creme and Hyrdocortozone creme was recommended by a surgical nurse. Just remember not to use this within 4 hours of taking the Benedryl because it is absorbed through the skin.)
- Also, baths in epsom salts helped us.
- Most redness in the rash & most itching gone within 48 hours